Allow customers to specify additional URL's to test
As part of Auto DevOps, we will support both load and browser testing against the root URL by default. While this is a good start, we need to expand this to allow users to define additional URL's to monitor.
For example in the case of GitLab, we could track:
- A select set of Issue URL's
- A select set of Merge Request URL's
- A project dashboard
- A search query
- Loading the list of labels, or milestones
While this does not test the performance of destructive changes, like creating a new issue or pushing a code change, it can cover a lot of ground for common workflows. For most applications the vast majority of requests tend to be reads than writes.
Further, since these are read only, we can use these for on-going monitoring of page performance when in production.
- We could add an additional parameter to allow URL's to be configured for an environment, within
.gitlab-ci.yml. However the issue here is that this will not allow exposure for Auto DevOps and the implied YML file
- Alternatively, we could explore a group of settings within Project Settings perhaps within the Prometheus service integration or within CI/CD. This would allow for support for Auto DevOps.
- A new file could also be used to specify the URL's to test, something like
.gitlab-urls.yml. This would have the benefit of being checked into the repo and versioned, as well as an easy way to extend what is in the implied YML.