Add-on runner hours for GitLab.com
Currently, shared CI minutes on GitLab.com are enforced with a hard limit. Once you hit your limit at your particular tier, there's no current path forward.
We want to switch runners to a scalable plan in #7446. Once we've implemented this, we should also allow users to breach this limit and be billed on a monthly basis for their additional usage.
- Notify the group owner (for groups) or individual (individual namespaces) when they're about to hit their limit.
- If we have a valid payment method on file, allow the limit to be breached. If not, don't.
- If we don't have a payment method, allow the user to provide one in the warning email.
- Each month, bill for the overage at $0.48 per n1-standard-1 instance hour.
- Provide an email receipt.
Currently CI minutes are linked to the package a user buys. I propose separating those two and enable users to buy CI minutes on-demand.
Let users either buy CI minute amount packages or just let them add their CC to let the consumption amount add up to a minimal amount which makes sense in regards of transaction costs.
Users who require more CI minutes then their current plan offers, but do not want/need a larger plan, or if such a plan doesn't even exist, may choose the route to self host their CI runner. This is fine, however some users (me included) don't want to manage an extra machine and go the SaaS route. Gitlab could offer the feature mentioned above, and cater to this group of users.
Make sure these are completed before closing the issue, with a link to the relevant commit.