Add on-demand CI minutes for GitLab.com
Currently, shared CI minutes on GitLab.com are enforced with a hard limit. Once you hit your limit at your particular tier, there's no current path forward.
- Surface a "Purchase" option next to the pipeline runner minute bar.
- Clicking "Purchase" should take the user to a one-time purchase page (likely in
customers.gitlab.com) for a package of 200 minutes.
- If the purchase succeeds, the user's shared runner minute pool should be extended.
- Purchased minutes should rollover to subsequent months.
- Notify the user by email:
- When they're within 200 minutes of their limit. (You can buy more minutes, here's how.)
- On each purchase of a minute package.
Currently CI minutes are linked to the package a user buys. I propose separating those two and enable users to buy CI minutes on-demand.
Let users either buy CI minute amount packages or just let them add their CC to let the consumption amount add up to a minimal amount which makes sense in regards of transaction costs.
Users who require more CI minutes then their current plan offers, but do not want/need a larger plan, or if such a plan doesn't even exist, may choose the route to self host their CI runner. This is fine, however some users (me included) don't want to manage an extra machine and go the SaaS route. Gitlab could offer the feature mentioned above, and cater to this group of users.
Make sure these are completed before closing the issue, with a link to the relevant commit.