File template repository
Templates are important for easily getting started with a project. It's a shame that people can't create their own templates that suit the needs of their own teams.
We should just have a repository per instance / group with templates, from which we load them. This way they can be managed, changed and reviewed easily.
- Templates are managed in a repository
- It should be transparent to the end user: the user does not have to know that templates are managed by git.
Specification of the templates project:
templatesproject is at the instance level, and/or the group level.
- Template project at the group level will override template project defined at the instance level.
- All LICENSE templates, for instance, will be located in a
LICENSEfolder inside this project.
- Extensions we'll read when populating dropdowns are
- files with no extension
Possible future improvements:
- Interface to manage templates
- Description templates for issues and merge requests #6886
- Custom file templates gitlab-ce#26199