Switch to Kramdown
Right now we're using Redcarpet, but eventually we want to switch to Kramdown.
Any custom Redcarpet code we're currently using will need to be replaced (see
lib/helpers_.rb). We'll also need to make sure everything still works with the new Markdown parser.
With Kramdown we open a new world of possibilities in our docs site, making it as flexible as about.gitlab.com:
- This is our markdown guide for GitLab and the docs site
- This is our markdown guide for about.gitlab.com
Latest thread on Slack (2018-02-23): https://gitlab.slack.com/archives/C16HYA2P5/p1519332161000412
What can we do with Kramdown that we can't with Redcarpet
- Add videos, JS code, HTML code, apply custom classes and ids to markdown files
- Add the product badges inline to the docs (https://gitlab.com/gitlab-com/gitlab-docs/issues/173)
- Play with images and illustrations (e.g., add icons to headers https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/merge_requests/17429)
- Use FontAwesome icons in markdown files