Something went wrong during merge when Fullname is set to ..
This bug happens on GitLab.com
Merge request fails with message "Something went wrong during merge". No other details are provided. The root cause, was determined to be "Fullname" was set to the value '..'.
Changing this to an actual name resolved the problem.
Steps to reproduce
- Create a user account with the Full name set to ..
- Setup your project flow so you can submit a MR from a forked project.
- Merge the MR.
- The error Something went wrong during merge will appear.
- Change the full name in settings to an actual name.
- Retry the MR merge. Should work now.
What is the current bug behavior?
MR merge fails with message "Something went wrong during merge". No other detail provided.
What is the expected correct behavior?
A better error message so the user can easily determine how to fix the problem for this use case.
Relevant logs and/or screenshots
I setup a local instance of gitlab-ce and reproduced the problem. The logs reported the following:
web_1 | MergeService ERROR: master-project/mergetest!1 - 2:Rugged::InvalidError: failed to parse signature - Signature cannot have an empty name or email web_1 | MergeService ERROR: master-project/mergetest!1 - Something went wrong during merge