Improve the UI and search interactions on Admin > Users page
The Admin Area's "Users" section has what I believe are some UI and UX deficiencies. I have detailed these below.
To view the GitLab UI in question, as an Admin user, navigate to Admin Area > Overview > Users.
When you navigate to this page, it is not clear if the users are in a specific order. The fact that the sort button is labelled
Name suggests that they are sorted by name. That's not the case, though, because if you explicitly select
Name order, the ordering of the User entries changes.
The discrepancy between what appears to be the stated order of User entries, and their actual order, raises doubt in the mind of the user.
When an admin wants to search Users, they click in the search box but no guidance is provided on the format of search terms. I had expected perhaps a tooltip, but there is no help at all provided.
The lack of guidance means the admin must determine the search format on their own, through experimentation. From my own testing, while researching the feature, I believe the following applies. I can't guarantee that my understanding is correct.
"The user search is case insensitive, and applies partial matching to name and username. To search for an email address, you must provide the complete email address."
|Improved UI||Email search dropdown|
- Add the 'Sort by' label to the dropdown for sorting
- Change the value of the 'sort by' field to the one that it's actually sorted by (default: last created)
- add username info to the right of the user's name, styled as secondary text
- change the styling of the email address text to primary
- replace the search field with the one with a search button (component)
- search field: on focus, show the instructions for searching by email address in a dropdown