Better markdown accessibility and prompts
In our Accessibility Conformance Report, the following point from Section 508 is marked as Does not support (The majority of product functionality does not meet the criterion):
504.3 Prompts - Ensures that authoring tools prompt you to create accessible content; for example, when adding images, the tool should prompt you to add alternative text
Specifically to our case, this means that prompts or best practices are not provided for accessibility in markdown.
From https://gitlab.com/help/user/markdown, I found the following instances where we can probably do a better job:
- Add prompts for users to title/describe Mermaid diagrams and flowcharts
- Not sure how this could be done. See https://github.com/knsv/mermaid/issues/556
- Does it make sense for users to describe math?
Math does not use
<sup>HTML elements (maybe there are other opportunities to use semantic HTML elements)
Inline diffs don't use
- Example: addition deletion
- When attaching a file (image, video, doc, etc.), auto-select the file's label so the user can quickly and properly label it. This is particularly important for images, which currently default to