Title as part of description template
- For description templates (issue and merge request), consider including the title in the template itself.
- This would introduce some complexity, because you would need to able to somehow delineate that part of the template body as representing the title, and part of it as representing the description. So that adds a layer of formatting to the user, which means you have to add more complexity/friction.
- The awesome benefit is that this massively simplifies templates and suddenly you have control over how you want users to enter titles too!
So my proposed idea:
- If the user doesn't know the special syntax to indicate the title, they wouldn't use it, and GitLab would just parse the entire template text, and use all of it as the description.
- Suppose there is special syntax, it would be like:
<title>Plan Retrospective 20xx-xx-xx</title>. And so the user could include that in the template, and GitLab would parse that. So anytime that particular template is chosen when creating an issue/mr, then that part would populate the title.
- This is also backwards-compatible, unless somebody has by coincidence already used that special syntax in one of their templates. I think it's fine if we just use something not that common and make sure to inform people.