Design exploration for instance and group level cycle analytics
Cycle analytics is a feature with a lot of potential. Currently, this cool feature is only available at the project level and is a bit challenging to find - it's the 3rd option available on a mouseover of "Project" in the sidebar.
Making cycle analytics only available on a project-by-project basis makes it very hard to use. Organizations with many projects can't use this information: it's too granular, hard to click into every project to view, and makes "not enough data" issues more likely.
- How can we make Cycle Analytics useful for organizations with many projects?
- How can we increase the visibility of Cycle Analytics, so that more people are aware of this feature?
- How do we connect instance-level, group-level, and project-level Cycle Analytics together?
- Where do we present Cycle Analytics in the UI?
We should consider a new design for Cycle Analytics that covers a group and for an instance:
A user should be able to interact with a unified Cycle Analytics page. I should be able to specify the scope of what I'm looking at, and narrow the information presented from instance > group > project.
Relocate Cycle Analytics to a more prominent location in the UI: the analytics icon in the navbar here in #41416 (closed). Make instance-level cycle analytics the default page.
- Show past performance. Are we getting faster/slower relative to the past?
- Which events/issues/MRs are driving the change in velocity?
- Show performance relative to other projects/groups.
- Introduce other metrics (e.g. size of commit/MR)