Override squash commit message
When fixing a bug or adding a feature with a single commit, I write a detailed commit message describing why the change was needed and what the change does. When I receive feedback from other developers I will make multiple small commits to fix my change, but if I squash and merge my nice commit message is erased even though it describes my change in detail and would be useful in the future.
The current behavior is to use the merge request title as the squash commit message. If the merge request was created from an issue, the commit message can be even worse
Resolve "Select commit message in squashed commit"
We should improve the default behavior of squash and merge to make it less destructive.
- If the merge request contains commits with long commit messages (signal of a deliberate commit message) automatically select the first long commit message as the squash commit message.
- Otherwise, default to the merge request title
- The squash commit message should be editable
- Basic: editable text field
- Bonus: select a commit message from any of the commits in the merge request