Single click deploy of Runner to k8s cluster
We make it really easy to get autoscaling runners if you install GitLab in a Kubernetes cluster, but what if you're using GitLab.com or otherwise have your GitLab instance outside of Kubernetes? We already let you connect a product to a Kubernetes cluster, and ideally we'd let you do that at a group level. But once you've done that, you still need to configure Kubernetes services manually. We should make it easy to install an autoscaling GitLab runner into the k8s cluster for you, ideally with a single click, likely in the Kubernetes service settings.
Once installed, the Runner can be automatically registered to the project that is associated to the cluster. This can be expanded to group clusters when implemented.
- Add button in Kubernetes service configuration to add GitLab runner to the cluster.
- Bonus: provide some monitoring an introspection of the health of the runner
Alternatives: should this be in the runners section of project/group settings instead? That would be a better place when looking for health of the runner.
Links / references
- Related: Single click deploy of Prometheus to k8s cluster: #28916
(Write the start of the documentation of this feature here, include:
- Why should someone use it; what's the underlying problem.
- What is the solution.
- How does someone use this
During implementation, this can then be copied and used as a starter for the documentation.)