View and add comments on previous commits in image file view
We want to make "code review" in GitLab applicable to images as well. This is a small step toward GitLab's vision to make it easy and frictionless for all types of digital collaboration to be possible. Practically today, engineers and designers want to review image diffs in the typical merge request workflow, as well as outside of that workflow (#19055 (closed)). The scope of this issue is to solve the latter scenario first, since it's a more straightforward implementation (per the discussion thread below). This issue should thus be designed together with #25066 (closed).
Solution and design
- There should be some symmetry/consistency with #25066 (closed).
- Provide a mechanism to view and add comments on previous commits in an image's file view.
- Marking a coordinate versus a region on an image for commenting?
- Also, what options do we offer the user if the file's commit's image size is different from the previous commit's? Currently, we don't show the 2-up / swipe / onion skin controls in that scenario. What would the design be for commenting?
- Current solutions discussed so far are in the comment thread below. Final design and scope is pending.
Out of scope
Merge request image diff is outside of the scope of this issue.
When the diff has text I can leave a line comment. When the diff is a picture I should be able to comment on a specific place in the picture.
This place should then be indicated with a number, that shows the number of comments there.
Zeplin.io, Phabricator and invisionapp.com already do this.
Update (Oct 19 2016)
The original scope of this issue was just 'diffs'. After several discussions, we have decided that there is more value with starting this work from the perspective of 'issue' comment threads.