Allow modification of branch by project maintainers when opening an merge request from a fork
When collaborating with contributors using a forking workflow, which is typical for most open source projects, being able to rebase and resolve conflicts is extremely useful. GitHub offers an option to Allow edits from maintainers when opening a Pull Request. GitLab should offer this as an option too.
- Add a checkbox to
Allow edits from maintainersof the upstream project when opening a Merge Request from a fork
- Allow users with Git write permissions to the upstream project to push to the branch on the fork
- Allow users with Git write permissions to the upstream project to restart CI jobs on commits in the branch on the fork
The permission should:
- only be available when both projects are Public or Internal
- should only apply to the source branch
- should only apply while the merge request is open
In a future enhancement we can enable
Allow edits from maintainers for Private projects. #43272
Create Merge Request
Edit Merge Request
When editing a Merge Request, the
Contribution section is also available.
If maintainer edits are allowed, we show a notice in the 'general' section of the MR widget:
Allows edits from maintainers
If maintainer edits are not allowed, we don't show anything.