Sketching session: Geo admin UI
As part of a brainstorming session for improving the admin UI, I would love to involve the team in the design process! I have only run this session offline and synchronously; However, let's give it a try for an async style of sketching session for now.
What is this activity?
It is a way to bring a cross-functional team or design team together to visualize potential solutions to a design problem. It is not a mandatory activity, but I would love your inputs and ideas!
Considering the complexity of our product, I think it makes more sense to run it with two different rounds:
- Round 1: Quickly ideate your ideas in several versions
- Round 2: Is for visualizing one big idea in 5 minutes
Now it's the new year of 2021
You’ve set up your Geo nodes successfully
And two days have passed.
You logged on to your self-managed GitLab (primary) to check that Geo and replication is working as expected.
Are there any problems?
Things to be considered
- You’re a sysadmin for the Imaginary tech-company.
- You're using a laptop.
- You're currently on the primary instance.
- You've successfully set up 1 secondary instance.
- The HQ is located in San Francisco, and the second instance is based in Berlin :p
- Any rectangular paper x 2
- Pen or pencil (you can use multiple colors/thickness if you want)
- A cup of coffee
☕would be nice but optional
Rules for the game
- This is a 10-minute activity in total. You don't have to spend more than 5 minutes for each round.
- Let's not think about layouts such as the top-header, GitLab logo, and left menu.
- There are no right or wrong answers.
- It doesn't have to be beautiful. (You will be surprised to see how ugly mine is)
- For round 2, you don't need to fill in all the blanks if it is hard for you. It's not an exam :-)
Round 1: 4 ideas in 5 minutes
- Divide your paper into 4 empty boxes.
- Have a deep breath
- Start your timer for 5 minutes
- Draw your ideas!
Round 2: 1 big idea in 5 minutes
- Put another piece of paper on your desk
- Have a deep breath again and some coffee if you need :)
- Start your timer again for 5 minutes
- Draw your idea!
Share with the team
Now you're done!
February 3rd, Monday February 10th (UTC 08:00).
I will gather all the inputs from the team and work on the scorecard part 2.