Bring changelog/manager from release-tools project
Bring in a modified flavor of
Changelog::Manager from release-tools as
scripts/changelog_manager.rb. Add this to CI as
changelog stage, which only happens on
The major variations from the original are:
- Run as a script, in place of a Rake task. Simpler to put into place, keeping it small.
- Versions are now dates, in
- Operates only on the
- Remove all logic related to SemVer, RC, distribution, etc.
The script is located at
scripts/changelog_manager.rb and makes use of the libraries from
scripts/lib/. I've modified many of these in small to large ways to the reasons mentioned above. The script takes one argument, the path to the Git repository. In our case in CI, this is
For an individual who wishes to test the functionality of
changelog_manager, this can be done with a secondary checkout of this repository (e.g.
Check out a second instance of this repository, so as not to dirty your working copy.
- In this temporary copy
- Ensure there are entries in
changelogs/unreleased/. If there are none, please manually add one (
bin/changelogwill not work while on
- From your working copy, run
- From your temporary copy, run
git show HEADto see what changes were made by running the script.
- You can restart this process by running
git reset --hard HEAD~1in your temporary copy.
- Reworked the format of CHANGELOG.md's Alpha entry to
2018-03-22 Alpha, and pointed to alpha documentation.
Closes #337 (closed)