GitLab Pages Cloud Native support
Pages currently requires shared NFS-like storage to function. This is not available in our Kubernetes deployments, the only shared storage we have is Object Storage.
So in order for Pages to be available in the Kubernetes deployment of GitLab, it needs to support Object Storage.
The epic currently tracking the Release Management team portion of this effort is here: gitlab-org&1316.
There are a number of steps we can take to reach cloud native support for Pages.
- Resolve the known blockers identified in gitlab-org&4283
- Create a Pages container that can be used to identify additional blockers
- Add Pages configuration to Rails containers
- Document an experimental hybrid deployment as an interim solution. This would use Omnibus to deploy Pages and Helm to deploy other GitLab services. This documentation could be made available after .com has deployed and proven out the hybrid approach cc @awthomas
- Create a Helm chart for Pages
Note: this is a multi layer project -is working on the first phase which is research of serving the pages files from a url and then we will build the new object storage. Finally, can take that and make it possible to deploy. It would be foolish for me to give you a date but we are hopeful for end of year, 2020.