12.8.1 UBI Gitaly Fails to Start
Gitaly fails to start when 12.8 UBI-based images are deployed.
The following message is shown in the kubernetes log:
level=fatal msg="load config" config_path=/etc/gitaly/config.toml error="open /tmp/gitaly-linguist-path151305793: permission denied"
The issue appears to be that permissions on /tmp are set such that temp files can cannot be created by non-root users. This is causing Gitaly to fail on startup.
Steps to reproduce
- Create a values.yaml that specifies tags for UBI-based containers
- Install using helm
- View Gitaly logs. Error will be present.
- Edit Gitaly stateful set to disable liveness / readiness probes
- Connect to gitaly container using kubectl exec
- Check permissions on the /tmp folder
[[email protected] gitaly]$ cd / [[email protected] /]$ ls -l ... drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 6 Feb 24 17:33 tmp
Gitaly fails to start.
Gitaly starts successfully.
- Chart: 12.8.1
- Cloud: EKS
- Client: 1.17.1
- Server: v1.14.9-eks
- Client: 3.0.3