Dev:Create:Editor - Snippets Product Performance Indicator
⭐️ Product Performance Indicator - Number of Snippets Created per Month
📖 Background and Overview
▶ Define your product feature's key benefit/value to customers
Snippets are a way for users to share various types of content both inside and outside of GitLab. They are used in both projects and personal namespaces and can be embedded completely outside of GitLab on 3rd party websites.
🥅 Define Product Performance Indicator that quantifies delivery of this "must have" value
Snippets can be used in a variety of ways from documentation, sharing scripts or even embedded externally. These individual actions all contribute value, but that value is only available with snippets existing.
- Once defined, please review with this checklist and iterate if needed
- Does this support sustainable revenue growth?
- Does this reflect customer getting value?
- Does this measure progress?
- Why do you pick this Product Performance Indicator for your feature/group/stage?
❗ What do you need from the Telemetry/Data team?
- The data is available but I need analytics to visualize/re-structure
- The data is not available and I need to implement tracking
- I don't know, need help to check whether this data exists or not
- Please provide more details
Some of this data already exists in this dashboard. There are components of this that don't exist yet, or aren't possible to get yet because they're waiting on new feature implementation.
What is the data source for the proposed Product Performance Indicator? (Link, Explanation of how this data is captured, etc)
Who would be the best contact for the data source system? (Link or explanation)
🧩Answer these questions to provide more context
- Any alternative Product Performance Indicators you would consider, either because they are easier to get, or you are debating between that and the proposed NSM? - No
- Does your feature play a bigger role in initial purchase, retention, or expansion/upgrade? - Retention/Expansion
- Does your feature play a bigger role in SMB sales, Enterprise sales, or both? - No paid features
- What are some dimensions you would expect to slice/dice your Product Performance Indicator? For example, by plan tier, by free/paid, etc. - Those examples, plus we need to be able to slice between project and personal namespace snippets against all of these others. It's also important to be able to slice GitLab.com separately as there are more personal snippets used there and more potential for different use cases that wouldn't apply to self-managed.
- Are there any GitLab product features that are "downstream" or "upstream" to your product feature? For example, customers have to use feature A to use your feature, or once customers use your feature, they are more likely to use another feature.
Please attach a mock-up, drawing, or chart in another system that will think will allow you to make a data-driven decision for the propose metric. Link: ______
- Please provide an example of how you would use the mock-up or chart to make the data-driven decision.
📈 Define Supporting KPI/metrics - [Optional]
Number of (unique) Views: The number of views snippets receive is a potential way to measure the value of snippets. However, some snippets may be popular and receive a significant number of views, but popularity isn't a measure of the value.
Number of Embedded Snippets: This is an important metric to understand the value of embedding snippets, but doesn't convey the overall value of snippets to users.
Number of Stars/Forks: These are vanity for individual snippets, but don't convey value of Snippets as a feature.
- Views over 30 and 90 day periods after creation. It'll be important to understand differences here between self-managed and GitLab.com as well as personal vs. project snippets.
- Number of views as a relation to the number of created snippets in relation to overall growth. i.e. views might trend upward, but this needs to be measured against new snippets which need to measured against new users.
Type of Snippet content. i.e. are things with a file extension of
*.md/*.txtcould be more assumed to be documentation vs. others. Are there different patterns for life span.
Once defined, please review with this checklist and iterate if needed
- Are these metrics an input into Product Performance Indicator?
- By improving these, do you improve the Product Performance Indicator?