Large Copy Edit of stock options handbook page
The stock options page had several issues that I'm trying to resolve in this MR:
- Sections not in a logical order
- non-standard markdown that do not conform to the company standards.
- Some parts could be slightly clearer
The signification changes are (see image below as well):
- Introductory sections moved to the top (
about your ownership/
stock options), with
grant levelsa subsection of
stock splitsmoved next to
exercising your optionsmoved out one level, and
exercise windownow subsections of it.
- language slightly touched up to remove duplication of information here.
how to exercise your stock optionsnow a subsection of
administration, since they are related (Carta usage)
- language slightly touched up to remove duplicate information here.
non-US employeessection broken out into country-specific sections, to make it easier to find and easier to ignore information not related to your country.
stock options board meeting reportingmoved to the bottom, with the other "paperwork" guide (
Procedures for issuing...), since these are not useful to the majority of GitLabbers (and targeted to only a few, or one, staffer)
Questionsmoved down with
references, as is more standard.
The dual class structure ...section removed, since it was just a one sentence intro, and now clear with the new structure and touched up language here. This resulted in the 4 subsections moving left in the tree.
effect of dual-classmoved to the top of the 4 items, as it's more logical this way.
stock splitsmade clearer by adding
(total value $10,000)to the example.
fixed typos, grammar mistakes, deleted extra blank lines
the sample letter put in a code block (
```) so that it copies and pastes properly now.
option 5 in
US employees with incentive stock optionsseemed to be wrong, so updated both 4. and 5.:
4. Sell shares one year and a day after you exercised the options + less than two years from the original grant date.
5. Sell shares one year and a day after you exercised the options + at least two years from the original grant date.
4. Sell shares at least one year and a day after you exercised the options, but less than two years from the original grant date.(Updated)
5. Sell shares at least two years from the original grant date.(Updated)
double spaces after periods removed
bullet lists made uniform throughout the page (hyphens instead of asterisks)