Group AMA - Being/Becoming a Staff Support Engineer
While we have a lot of resources and documents on getting promoted (handbook page), there have been numerous discussions on what it really means to "be a staff", how the day-to-day may have changed after promotion, and what struggles Staff Support Engineers (SEs) may be dealing with in fulfilling their responsibilities, to only name a few things.
Keep in mind that there is no one way to be a Staff SE, so we do not expect everyone's answers to be the same. This is an opportunity to hear and learn the ways in which different Staff SEs overlap and diverge.
This AMA conversation is geared towards both those who are interesting in becoming Staff as well as for those who are already Staff to ask questions of their peers, however, anyone on the team is welcome to ask questions.
How it works
Group AMA, similar to #3886 (closed)
- Anyone can add questions to the doc.
- The recording is posted on GitLab Unfiltered here: Group AMA - Being/Becoming a Staff Support Engineer
- AMER - 2022-05-26 15:30 UTC
- Back up Facilitator:
- Primary Notetaker 1:
Responsibilities of the facilitator
Note: Not required to be a Senior.
- If there are no primary notetakers, please ask for volunteers before recording.
- Start the session and recording, or ask Arty to.
- In welcome/intro, include:
- Today's date
- Have Staff SEs introduce themselves in listed order
- If question author is present, ask them to vocalize, otherwise present the question on author's behalf (does not have to be verbatim), solicit questions if none left and there's still time.
- Keep track of time to wrap up on time.
Upload the recording to YouTube Unfiltered account with the format "AMA - Being a Staff Support Engineer 2022-05-XX" and a link to this issue in the description.
Add the video to the AMA playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL05JrBw4t0KrQVEIzmhhQMR68JGBl3dDy
Submit a MR to update the handbook page with a link to video: gitlab-com/www-gitlab-com!105054 (merged)