Trial: Seniors act more as a mentor role
Currently the role of senior is very muddy. We say we want more mentorship and technical leadership -- but it's not clearly measured or owned by Senior Engineers. There are efforts to have a Senior moment meeting to help, but I want to try an experiment with 3 seniors for one week, and then iterate:
- 3 Seniors in the trial take on no new tickets that week.
- Seniors are expected to do a target of 10 pairing sessions, a minimum of 5.
- Seniors coordinate with the SLA Hawk to take over SLAH responses. This means, for every SLAH notification a Senior in the trial should:
- Create a slack thread off of the issue.
- Describe what they think the ticket is about tech wise (k8s, ldap etc)
- Start a zoom room and invite people to join if they are interested.
- If they have a quiet moment:
- Docs fixes from tickets they worked?
- Support fixes?
- Helping others with Support fixes?
- Consider office hours or topical training content development or refreshing.
Post this week, I'd love to hear some feedback from those involved, and evolve this to include some ticket ownership targets as well, but to reinforce the change, I think removing them for v1 is key.