Process to Import Customer Projects with Correct Usernames
As per our docs
An admin in the import side is required to map the users, based on email or username. Otherwise, a supplementary comment is left to mention the original author and the MRs, notes or issues will be owned by the importer.
The problem with requiring an admin user for user mapping is being discussed here: https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/issues/36338
Note: The script that the Implementation Team came up with is fairly complex, so if we have customers that need a lot of projects imported, we should still be pointing them to Professional Services. This is meant for customers with one or two projects that can be easily imported.
Until the issue is fixed, we need to answer a couple of questions:
- Should the team import for customers when this is an issue? If no, we need a clear statement why.
- If yes, what should the process be?
Assuming we'll do this on behalf of customers and we verify their identity and namespace role (i.e. group owner):
- Should we have a generic admin account? For issues/MRs that cannot be associated with existing users.
- Do we need a guideline/limit on when it should come to us vs. go to Professional Services?
- template in infra project
- ZD macro original drafts in related issue