401 Unauthorized error for gitlab page deployed with Hugo
Description of the problem
Gitlab page is deployed via CI with an artifact containing public/index.html. The page is also set up to use a custom domain beatrichartz.com, with certificate setup via Let's encrypt. The certificate setup seems to have been successful and the certificate is shown on the relevant setup page. The domain setup points with an A record to the gitlab pages server IP, and a CNAME record from www.beatrichartz.com to beatrichartz.gitlab.io. The page setup itself uses beatrichartz.com as its page root. The page visibility setup is "Everyone with access" in a public repo, which should equal public access.
- When accessing beatrichartz.gitlab.io/home in logged out state, the user is redirected to the Gitlab sign in page
- When accessing http://beatrichartz.gitlab.io/home in logged in state, the user gets redirected to a 401 Unauthorized page with a url like the following: http://beatrichartz.gitlab.io/auth?code=3ee29adff5dedf047abc2c2a01f6e89eab218241940dc30540f7245061009a3d&state=lhBnMCC4ZVOyKWTlbr0Ieg%3D%3D - this seems to be the background code exchange url of a 3-legged OAuth flow.
- When accessing https://beatrichartz.com, the user gets redirected to a 401 Unauthorized page with a url like the following: https://projects.gitlab.io/auth?domain=https://beatrichartz.com&state=6YXaR0OTSQkzBWAc6AYX6A==
What I tried to solve the problem
- Redeploy the page multiple times
- Make the repository public
- Remove the page domain and reinstate it (that did solve an initial issue where the certificate wouldn't be issued)
Which Group/Project (with full path) is experiencing the issue?
Approximate date/time when the error occurred.