Shadow Program: Social Team and Community Advocates
Related Merge Request, adding first steps of this program to the Community Advocate handbook
Purpose and Outcomes (from linked MR):
Purpose: The purpose of this shadow program is to build effective collaboration and community building strategies between the Community Advocates and the Social Media team.
- The Advocates will gain an increased understanding of the Social Marketing Handbook and learn new strategies for engaging with community members on social channels to promote GitLab brand awareness.
- The Social Team will gain an increased understanding of the Community advocate workflows and how the Advocates reroute or respond to different types of GitLab mentions.
- Following the shadow sessions, the Advocates will build guidelines in the handbook to better define paths of action for response for various types of GitLab mentions.
Session Outline Proposal
- Review Community Advocate Workflows, with a focus on Twitter
- Review the current workflow of the Social team on Twitter and identify overlaps/areas of support
- Begin to draft path of response/engagement for flow chart by identifying the types of community engagement that both teams interact with on Twitter (like triage, support, praise, product questions, etc)
- Continue conversation and drafting of flow chart async after call either on this issue, or create a separate issue
- Finalize content for handbook updates and assign to team
- Review Community Advocate Workflows, with a focus on Reddit.
- Discuss how the social team's work can help influence advocate engagement on Reddit.
Ideas for Documentation/Process Improvements
- Social/Advocate Response Flow Chart: this could be similar to the Education Workflow, tracking the different ways that social mentions are responded to based on their urgency, content, need for expert involvement, etc..
- Improvements to the Advocates Reddit workflow based on Social Team engagement on Twitter, especially for conversations happening in the developer community around GitLab as a product option. Essentially, how can the advocate team learn from the Social Team on twitter to better engage with the community discussions on Reddit.
- Changes may need to be made to the Advocates Twitter Workflow, specifically to better define what kinds of tweets are liked and retweeted by advocates, and the process for alerting the Social Team if/when we engage.
- Expanding on Involving Expert Workflow to better define when we engage experts. This might be also accomplished with a workflow chart.