Onboarding - Delivery Team
New team member
Welcome to the Delivery team!
The information below is meant to serve as a quick overview of both the company and the team resources.
Feel free to skip parts you are already familiar with, but keep in mind that some of the resources might have changed since you read them so a quick refresher could be useful.
Like all teams we have a Delivery team section in the handbook. Take some time to read through, including all the linked resources.
Team member onboarding tasks
- Read the Delivery Team handbook section.
- Review the Infrastructure Department handbook section.
Join the following Slack channels
- #eng-week-in-review (mandatory channel for engineering)
- #g_delivery (team channel)
- #announcements (deployment feed, and general infrastructure announcements)
- #infrastructure-lounge (Infrastructure department channels)
- Read the keeping yourself informed documentation.
Manager onboarding tasks
For all team members:
- Add new team member to [email protected] Google group
- Create an access request to add to the delivery-team slack group.
- Create access request to 'Release' vault.
- Add to weekly team meeting.
- Create a 1-1 document and schedule a recurring weekly meeting.
Role specific access requests
- Create an access request for Managers, Infrastructure baseline entitlement
- Create an access request for Backend, Infrastructure baseline entitlement
- Create an access request for SRE, Infrastructure entitlement
- Watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixtUDxM3nWA to understand how Engineers release security fixes
- Watch the videos on https://about.gitlab.com/blog/2020/05/13/how-we-release-software-patches/ to understand Patch releases and auto-deploy releases
- Read through https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/release/docs/blob/master/README.md to understand releases in more detail
- Fire drill videos run through some of the issues that come up during deploys https://docs.google.com/document/d/1U2mzuU0kMMsiCNT8pU3jl3jd4DH1UoklBn-S8E20Xd0/edit?usp=sharing