bst2 branch needs to be reviewed
Several people have been working to update freedesktop-sdk to build with bst 2. Recently we created the branch bst2 to bring this together into a 'canonical' bst2 branch of freedesktop-sdk. The branch still doesn't completely pass CI, but it's getting closer, which is great.
However, there hasn't yet been any formal review process for the branch. It's the amalgamation of a few different people's work, it's not clear which parts of it, if any, have already been reviewed, and the branch as a whole definitely hasn't. We should review the commits that make up the branch.
- Reorganize the commits into a more coherent, logical order
- Create a new branch "freedesktop-sdk-20.08beta.1-buildstream2". The new branch will be a straight copy of master
- Split the bst2 commits into groups, and create a chain of MRs for review
The MRs: Note that each MR builds on the previous one, which means that the plugins part 2 branch is currently set to merge into the plugins part 1 branch, and so on. That means the pipeline on the final MR incorporates all the work, and we can use it to test changes. However, when the MRs are approved, they should be edited to merge directly into freedesktop-sdk-20.08beta.1-buildstream2.
- merge !2849 (merged) (Groundwork)
- merge !2851 (merged) (Project.conf, .gitlab-ci.yml, makefile)
- merge !2853 (merged) (Plugins)
Note that none of these MRs will actually pass CI. The first 2 wouldn't be expected to pass, they're each just 'parts' of the work. (They've only been split into separate MRs to facilitate review. Otherwise we'd be reviewing a single monstrously large MR). The last MR incorporates all the other changes, and we would like it to pass, but it currently doesn't. (Note that bst2 doesn't yet pass CI either.)
- Final step (up for debate): delete the original bst2?