Accessibility WG vision and mission statements
Discussed in 2023-11-07 meeting.
Create vision and mission statements to guide the Fedora Accessibility Working Group into the future.
Vision and mission statements are always a good place to start in building a new team. They help everyone involved agree on the scope and overall focus of the team. It becomes easier to identify work that is clearly related or work that should be championed somewhere else. A vision statement is the "dream" or aspiration that is being reached for, or the end state. A mission statement is more concrete, and explains the means to how the vision is to be established.
In our 7 November 2023 meeting, we took silent brainstorming time to draft vision and mission statements for the team. This ticket is a public place for us to continue working through the vision and mission statement proposals and agree on final statements by our next team meeting on 5 December 2023.
Proposed vision statement:
Fedora Linux is the accessible Linux distribution.
Proposed mission statement:
The Fedora Accessibility Working Group empowers Fedora to be the accessible distribution with a focus on four pillars:
- Create a designated place where people can raise issues about assistive technologies.
- Bring together stakeholders from different Fedora teams and different communities to solve accessibility issues.
- Educate accessibility developers about operating system requirements.
- Raise awareness about accessibility to the wider community.
Supporting details from 2023-11-07 team meeting:
- Our current group includes people who can create change in the GNOME desktop. Our initial focus or scope should prioritize GNOME as a result. Whether this should be in our vision/mission or a mid-term Community Initiative needs more discussion.
- We need a defined scope. This group cannot encompass all disabilities. We need to prioritize areas of Fedora according to our collective skill set.
- We need to connect cross-functionally, e.g. with designers, developers, and quality engineers.
- VojTux could make a good deliverable for this group, i.e. building it in Fedora release infrastructure and publishing it officially as a Fedora Spin.
The focus and scope for the Fedora Accessibility Working Group is clear. The team understands where to focus and prioritize our time as a group.