How to get an app update into F-Droid?
I think I know my way with F-Droid Metadata. But not being an Android dev, I'm not familiar with builds – and thus cannot setup the
Build: block of a Metadata file. On the other hand, I want to support the F-Droid team as best as I can. So what is the best I can do to "announce" I found an update for a given app, so it can be included as fast as possible with as little as possible additional work for our maintainers?
- If I know the new versionname and versioncode, in the corresponding Metadata file there's no "Build:" for it and the CV/CVC there is lower than my finding: Shall I simply update those numbers and open an MR?
- If I know the new versionname and versioncode, but the Metadata file already has it, and even a build was configured, the timestamp of the file is months in the past – but the new version seems to never have been build (it's not in the repo); what shall I do here? Open an issue?
- If I know the new versionname and versioncode, and it was already introduced to the Metadata file a short while ago, but no corresponding "Build:" is there: that's most likely "normal" and a result of 1. having been followed, so I shall ignore it.
- like the previous item, but the timestamp of the file is way in the past: open an issue?
- in all other cases: open an issue?
This is a spin-off from #1239 (closed) – where I've collected all those data from a complete walk through all the 1521 apps currently listed. So here's the corresponding list to above points. The link applied to the package name goes to what its Metadata list as "Source Code". Then follows the version we currently serve, a "/" and the newer version available from the linked source (where I found it, I also included the CVC – so the new version number looks like "CV,CVC" (as used in the "Build:" section)) – and finally an (optional) comment. "tagged" means "CV/CVC" have been set (as in the last item above). Oh, and before you ask: Yes, I have made sure there's no disabled Build configured
Note this list is a bit shorter than the one in #1239 (closed) – as on cross-checking it again I found some apps have already been updated in Metadata in the meanwhile.
Build exists for quite a while, but new version didn't show up in client / website
- de.delusions.measure 8 / 17 (Build for versionCode 17 in Metadata since 4b35c102 2013-01-28, built according to wiki) → moved to archive
- org.kost.externalip 1.2 / 2.3,7 ("Build:2.3,7" already in Metadata since 38d745a3 2015-07-29, built according to wiki) → strange: metadata only has v2.3, but main lists v1.2? v2.3 is in archive.
- org.androidsoft.games.memory.kids 1.9.2 / 2.0.2,19 (already in Metadata since a3f90725 2015-04-19, built according to wiki) → 2.0.2 is in Archive (DisabledAlgorithm)
- com.nextgis.mobile 2.4 / 126.96.36.199,37 (2.5,19 disabled: "Google Repository") → 2.6.3 still comes with Google Analytics
- com.axelby.podax 3.5 / 7.0.6,63: "Build:" is configured since 5526001a 2014-08-01 and built according to wiki → see #925 (closed)
- org.us.andriod 1.4 / 1.5,5 (CV/CVC set in 2b840264 2017-07-16, but wiki doesn't even report it – meanwhile reverted?) ⇒ CV/CVC updated by Hans and hence pushed to apps_to_update
- ro.mihai.tpt 4.1 / 4.3 (4.2 disabled due to Firebase) -> recheck?
- org.example.pushupbuddy 1.0 (10/2011) / 3 (1/2014); according to wiki it was built → archived (DisabledAlgorithm)
- vu.de.urpool.quickdroid 4.0.2,42 / 4.4,50 tagged in 2ab1685f 2014-01-12, "Build:"s exist – according to the wiki 4.4 was built → archived (DisabledAlgorithm)
- org.penghuang.tools.rotationlock 1.5 / 1.6 (2012; according to wiki it was built) → archived 10/2012
- de.badaix.snapcast 0.7.0 / 0.15.0 (release tagged; according to wiki v0.10 was built (now "disabled (wip)"; our CV says 0.13 from 3565de5a 2018-03-17 but not even mentioned in wiki) → #1269
- tuioDroid.impl 1.0 / 1.1,5 (tagged with 432a3006 in 8/2015, built according to wiki) → archived
- net.mafro.android.wakeonlan 1.4.2 / 1.5,13 (tagged in 57356557 2012-08-08, built according to wiki) → archived 8/2012
- au.com.darkside.XServer 1.0.2 / 1.2.1 (all versions tagged 8/2014 or before (last one: c04ce420 2014-08-17), built according to wiki) → archived
- com.liato.bankdroid 188.8.131.52 / 1.9.14 (184.108.40.206 tagged); due to Crashlytics; there's a newer issue open than the one linked from Metadata → looks abandoned, no commit for 2 years now ⇒ pointed that out in metadata/MaintainerNotes
- player.efis.data.* 1.2 / 3.8+ – also see !3372 (merged) which might already address this → ?
- com.android.music AOSP: we have MM, they have up to Oreo → ? => we're going to skip it here (just add a MaintainerNote)
- org.navitproject.navit 0.5.0 (2015) / 0.5.1 (2018) → 0.5.3 ? ⇒ nope, build is disabled
0.91 / 0.92 (release tagged, but gradle still has 0.91)→ 0.96
- org.lufebe16.pysolfc 2.2 / 2.4 → 2.5.5 ? ⇒ 2.6.4 meanwhile ⇒ #1561 (closed) deals with this.
0.11.7 / 0.11.11 (tagged, but gradle still stuck on 0.11.7,160)→ v1.0.16
- se.embargo.retroboy 2.5.2 / 2.6.0 (release tagged, but Manifest still says 2.5.2) => upstream contacted, waiting for reply.
- jonas.tool.saveForOffline 3.1.6 / 3.1.7 (release tagged, but gradle still has 3.1.6) → Readme states abandoned and broken – app was unpublished from Play in 12/2015 => tested, still works, so ignoring here.
- net.alaindonesia.silectric 1.2.01 / 1.2.02 (gradle, release tagged, no versionCode set) → reference ⇒ no response from upstream, ignoring (after adding a MaintainerNote to metadata)
- com.viper.simplert 1.0 / 1.1 (release tagged, gradle still says 1.0) → no longer builds (issue also mentions a fork in 1/2019, which currently still has the same issue) => issue remains, can no longer be built. MaintainerNote added.
2.0 / 3.0 (release tagged) → gradle forgot to increase CVC ⇒ notified upstream and asked to get itfixed with !5343 (merged)
- wb.receiptspro 1.1.1 / 4.12.0 (4.9.0 set as CV, but not built; 4.12.0 tagged but gradle says 220.127.116.110,480) → see #559 (dealt with there)
- info.aario.snotepad 1.2.1 / 1.2.2,2 (gradle + release tag; our CV says 1.2.1,2 so same CVC) ⇒ asked upstream to fix
- com.enrico.filemanager 2.0.2 / 2.0.3 (release tagged; gradle still says 2.0.2) ⇒ there is no tag 2.0.2, we've built 2.0.2 from tag 2.0.3. Added a hint to MaintainerNotes.
in.p1x.tanks_of_freedom 0.6.3-beta,20 / 0.7.0-beta (release tagged; Metadata says "Auto Update Mode:None";
should we set this to "tags"?) ⇒ no idea where to look here, the last build recipe seems no longer valid (cannot find the directories mentioned). So unless somebody else knows, I'll ignore this app here.
- com.physphil.android.unitconverterultimate 5.3.1 / 5.3.2 (release tagged; gradle still has 5.3.1) → already updated to 5.3.3 (though 2 newer versions are waiting for 2 weeks now)
- ru.ra66it.updaterforspotify 1.0.7 / 1.0.8,1 (dev forgot to increase versionCode, reported) → already updated to 1.27
de.ph1b.audiobook 3.6.1 / 3.6.3 (release tagged; our CV: 3.6.2; I couldn't find VC) → source already has 4.3.0. Tag names changed pattern, updated metadata accordingly at 13c5a8c4 ⇒ 4.3.1 meanwhile, and now uses
build.gradle.ktswhich we currently cannot deal with (v3.6.3 would be the last one we could) ⇒ #1481 (closed)
- be.mygod.vpnhotspot 1.3.2 / 1.3.4 (our Metadata says "no source since 1.3.3", but source is here?) → is already at 2.1.3
- com.waist.line 1.0.2 / 1.0.4 (release tagged; I couldn't find VC) → reached 2.4.2
- de.dotwee.micropinner 2.0.1 / 2.2.0,29 (metadata have 2.1,27 but not built)
com.lostrealm.lembretes v1-beta3 / 1.0.5,102 → reverted by the bot at fa1968fd → that is the last tagged version, v1.0.5 was not (yet) tagged
- atm.rocketguardian 1.0 / 1.0.1,2 (Manifest) → reverted by the bot at 24e4e986; see issue at the project; author says solved (seems right), so increased CV/CVC again with !1252 (merged)
- mobi.omegacentauri.SendReduced 0.13 / 0.16,1600
- net.sylvek.sharemyposition 1.1.2,24 / 1.2.11,36 → still pending (build block missing); our version is from 2012, last commit from 2014 ⇒ archived with !5210 (merged) (just spins eternally trying to obtain position, no feedback from app)
- goo.TeaTimer 1.6,9 / 2.0,10 (Manifest) → still pending (build block missing); our last version is from 2011, last commit is from 2013 ⇒ still works fine; do we want to build the last version?
naman14.timber 0.2b /
1.6,20(gradle; Crashlytics, GMS; added Maintainer Notes dev no longer supports us) → app archived
- com.xperia64.timidityae 2.7.6,81 / 3.0.6,96 NOTE: "Update Check Mode:Tags" cannot work as there are no tags → still pending (build block missing)
- com.github.moko256.twitlatte 1.2.3 / 1.3.0,10 (gradle, release tagged)
- cz.martykan.webtube 1.1 / 1.1.1,14 (gradle + release tagged)
- net.wigle.wigleandroid 2.10 / 2.29,229 (Manifest + release tagged; our CV: 2.25; NOTE: Please check Maintainer Notes, the issue mentioned there was resolved 8/2016)
org.strawberryforum.pollywog 0.1,1 / 0.2,1 (
dev obviously forgot to update CV, reportedsolved within an hour, cool!) → still pending (build block missing) → #1788