Replace Wordpress forum on F-Droid.org
Currently, the forum on F-Droid.org is made with Wordpress. It has a lot of disadvantages, as you can't mass-delete spammer posts, can't reply by mail (fdroidserver#160 (closed)) and it's not very modern at all.
I suggest replacing it by another software, as part of the revise of the website planned in fdroidserver#237 (closed). As the software to use, I feel quite comfortable with Discourse. You can try it out here. (For German speaking people: Freifunk uses it!)
- Dual core CPU recommended
- 1 GB RAM minimum (with swap)
- 64 bit Linux compatible with Docker
- Postgres 9.5+
- Redis 2.6+
- Ruby 2.3+ (we recommend 2.3.1 or higher)
Moving from Wordpress to new software
Regarding moving the forum. Before any option is considered - would the content be kept? Would users have to re-register? Also note that accounts are common across the wiki and forum right now, as it's all bundled with wordpress.
I think, the links will not going to be the same. To check moving content and users I need to know which exact plugin we use.
- +1 for replacing the forum, which --right now -- is a bloody mess. I am not sure about discourse, but the email frontend for it is rather nice... Another thing: If we do this, I'd restructure the forum to one thread per app and just have "added", "paused", "whatever" labels.
Using wordpress for a forum is just fracked up. There are nearly no options to allow good moderation, neither manual nor automatic. In the last view days I had to delete hundreds of spam messages by hand. Also, I cannot sanction users at all. Also it fails to let me post something on a regular base, either throwing errors or just silently failing. Working on the submissions queue, moving stuff to complete is also quite annoying. It should be a one-click operation.. sigh.
User registration: Well, Wordpress users registration (or least whatever we use) seems broken. People complain on not receiving activation mails at all or with non-working links.