Download Chrome builds from the CWS
Currently, we don’t archive the builds as published on the Chrome Web Store but self-signed versions of them. Moreover, our builds are packaged in CRX2 format which is no longer supported. This renders our archived builds useless. Furthermore, the usefulness of self-signed builds is limited in the first place, and the packaging/signing logic adds unnecessary complexity to our build/release tooling.
What to change
- As a first step, implement a Node.js script, invoked with
npm run archivewhich downloads either a release or a devbuild (switchable with a
-dflag), which downloads the currently available build from the Chrome Web Store
- Run the script in CI as a schedulded pipeline
- Make the downloads available as a job artifact.
Tasks to complete
- Implement the above mentioned script
Configure a scheduled pipeline to run once an hour for
- In a follow up patch, let CI copy the downloaded extensions to our downloads server, once a protected runner has been provisioned for us (see eyeo/devops/ansible-role-gitlab!3 (merged))
- Remove related cronjobs and code from the legacy infrastructure