Language filter list suggestions
As an ABP user, who frequents websites in different languages, I expect the ABP to automatically block ads on any website, irrespective of the language so I get the optimal experience with minimum manual configuration
Approximately 5% of our users don't have the language filter they need because their computer has one language installed although they visit other languages. Therefor we would like to detect and install relevant languages
All requirements are written in details within the Spec
- User should be able to install/remove lang filters even if SLFS is enabled
- If SLFS disabled - stop adding new lang but don’t remove already installed
- Mark with tooltip lang that were installed by SLFS
- For every new lang installed by SLFS - inform user with icon notification
- Enable by default SLFS
- When SLFS is enabled - don’t remove existing lang, just add new
- If lang list already installed - don’t modify manual user settings
- Add language only after user has visited 3 times - add on the 3rd time
Our main KPI for success will be Amount of reports for Polish websites (Nicole Jones)
- Website language detection: Proof-of-concept extension
- Performance impact of en-/disabling ABP: Performance report on Automatic Filters VS spiegel.de
- Per-pageview impact of language detection and filter list processing delay: eyeo/specs/spec!177 (comment 119177056)
- Language List Suggestion Requirements Doc - Created by Nicole Jones
- Usability Study - Qual - Final Results
- Design Variants Survey - Quant - Final Results
- Filter list download stats for automation tests, hub ticket
For the above to be a success, the following items need to happen
- Flow for the notification system is defined
- Copy for the notification is defined (@lisabielik)
- Data of current issue reports have been collected and analyzed (@data-raccoon) - http://hub.eyeo.com/issues/14043
- Entire flow has been user tested and verified/ modified accordingly (@achou)
- Ensure our infrastructure will be able to handle automatically installing 000`s of filter lists, by having this feature as opt-in by default.
- Ensure that we will be able to identify filter lists that have been automatically added by the feature vs. added by the user.
- Ensure that our notification system works on all platforms (the logic right now is handled by WebExt)
- Ensure that depending on the outcome of hub#14514 the feature is not rolled out to German/French users
- The filter list activation system is compliant with GDPR (@Zarillo)
- The feature is translated/ localized (11 core languages by the agency, remainder [30+] by Crowdin) (@Shikitita, @amazurek)
- The feature is implemented according to the specified design
- Feature behaves as outlined in the specs
- Add "detectedLanguage" data point to issue reporter #168
- Defined roll out plan of the feature
Roles / Responsibilities
- ABP UI: To define how relevant filter lists are recommended to the right users.
- WebExt: To implement the feature into the extension.
- Legal: To ensure that the feature is compliant with our T&Cs, if not to update them accordingly - http://hub.eyeo.com/issues/13531
- Content: To define the messaging for the users.
- Translations: To localize the messages.
- QA: To ensure the right filter list recommendations are shown to the right users.
- Data: To track the success rate of the filter list recommendations.
Hints for translators
Added string "notification_autoLang_message" to notification-helper.json.