Bubble UI: UX improvements [UX]
We have been witnessing a downward retention rate in the last year, largely due to an increasing number of users uninstalling our extension after the first day (currently 32% - Feb 2018, compared to 38% in Feb 2017).
Improving user retention is one of the best ways to grow our user base.
Providing a working, trustworthy product that delights the user, will improve user retention. The design of the bubble UI is a large contributor to trust and delight.
The bubble UI is also the first interaction a user has with the desktop extension, after the taskbar icon and the main touch point a user will have with the product.
The current bubble UI has not been updated in a while and no longer matches the Settings page in style. This reduces the trust and delight elements of the product and we are seeing users leaving for competitor ad blockers as a result.
Whilst this issue will not be able to address performance issues, continual UX improvements will indicate to the user that the product is still relevant and has on-going improvements.
Bet (What to do)
- Update the style of the bubble UI to match the Settings page to maintain user trust and improve retention rate.
- Improve overall UX of the bubble UI to build delight for our users and build a competitive edge over other ad blockers on the market.
Team / Responsibilities
Jeen - Product Manager gather requirements
- Create specifications based on the final design
Martin - Design: develop bubble UI design based on user feedback, product requirements and ensure it is consistent with the overall design language
- Bubble UI prototype
- Update prototype to include minimum product requirements for user testing
- Ann-Lee - User research
- Lisa / Tom - Content: review all content to ensure it is aligned with the overall content strategy
- Winsley - Project Manager: Oversee technical implementation of the design
- Manvel / Thomas / Andrea - Developers: Implementing the design
- Tamara - Translations: Manage translations with the agency and Crowdin community
- Data: Monitor retention rates of users following implementation
- ABP comms team: Communicate the redesign of the bubble UI and monitor feedback via social media channels
- Please note that most of the fields are marked as "Added", but they have existing translations, this is because those strings are migrated from adblockpluschrome repository.
- Part of the strings are removed from CSV as we have separate CSV sheet prepared for them
Languages to translate into
Ticket in the Hub to follow translation progress: http://hub.eyeo.com/issues/14615