Improve block element feature: Allow users to more precisely select which element to block
Background / User story
With the switch to Web Extensions, we had to give up various features that were present in the legacy extension. Among those was the Block Element feature which we simply ported over from the existing Chrome version.
Based on a suggestion on the forum we should reintroduce the ability to specify which element in the hierarchy the user intended to select to provide users with more control over what to block.
Data / Insight
User feedback has shown that the block element feature is inferior to the previous version. This is an important tool for Adblock Plus power users and has repeatedly come up as a feature request in the forum(it has been mentioned 11 times in the thread out of 136 posts):
This is considered a basic feature by power users and not having this function as they intend it is a major blocker to their experience with the product.
We have been witnessing a downward retention rate in the last year, largely due to an increasing number of users uninstalling our extension after the first day (currently 32% - Feb 2018, compared to 38% in Feb 2017).
Improving user retention is one of the best ways to grow our user base.
We should be acknowledging feedback from our power users, as they are also our biggest advocates.
Having an improved block element feature will contribute to retention of our power users and show that we are acknowledging their requests.
- Improve the block element feature
- The below are based on user feedback:
- Provide a way to more precisely select elements for hiding
- Display a list of all parent elements based on the element the user has selected
- Allow users to select any of the listed elements and update the list of suggested filters accordingly (highlighting of elements should change accordingly)
- Live preview of changes - give feedback in real time when the suggested filter is edited by the user so they know which element would be hidden/blocked.
- Add ""Parent"" and ""Child"" buttons to help narrow or widen the selection of element for blocking/hiding to the parent or child of what's currently selected. Update the suggested filter when clicked.
What to change
- Design: TBD
- Research: TBD (see also "Data / Insights" above)
- Spec: TBD
Hints for testers
Hints for translators