- My Self Publishing Requirements
- Publishing Checklist
My Self Publishing Requirements
- International. Focused on EN-UK first.
- Copyright / ownership
- Copyright: Creative Commons (CC) BY-SA 4.0
- Attribution - Share Alike
- Copyright: Creative Commons (CC) BY-SA 4.0
- Digital Code - free
- Digital PDF - free -> Goal is frictionless maximal distribution, open access, open source
- Paperback - small fee (~10 Eur) - stores
- Hardcover - high fee (~70-90 EUR) - mainly for Courses (in company, university, etc)
- Bonus point if small bookstores recieve discount for higher margins.
- Paper: Support of Colour print, various sizes, hardcover and paperback.
- Digital: Support of ebook in PDF (Open Access DOI/ISBN Repository/sites), Amazon Kindle (.com, .de, .nl), iBook and Google Play.
- Audio: audiobook would be great.
- Brick & Mortar stores: NL, UK, DE, USA
- Online: Amazon.com, Amazon.de, Amazon.nl
- NL Online and Brick&Mortor via Centraal Boekenmagazijn -> Bol.com, ? 1. probably only bravenewbooks is OK for the Dutch Market. (but.. how about EN books?) When do we need Centraal Boekenmagazijn?
- Goodreads, Google books, Worldcat
Some things I think are needed for a nice publication.
Relevant tools for academic publication
- Use ORCID for your unique ID as author.
On the ORCID you can create a list of all your published work (thesis, blogs etc).
You can use ORCID to login to Zenodo and OSF.
- Use the Open Science Framework Workflow (OSF).
This provides guidelines on steps in your research and how to document these steps.
To my it appears that OSF is the US version of Zenodo, and COS is the US version of OpenAire.
- Use the TOP Factor topics as guideline for the research setup.
Zenodo delivers a public repository (DOI).
These are the Zenodo Principles.
Zenodo is linked to OpenAire. OpenAire supports Open Science in Europe. I think Zenodo supports most of the Open Science Framework (OSF).
Zenodo is funded by CERN.
- Pubpub is an USA (MIT) alternative to Zenodo.
- TODO: When you upload a doc to Zenodo, does it help to cross post to ResearchGate to increase the exposure to Google Scholar?
- Articles in Sweden
- DIVA code (DOI for master thesis, but only for swedish universities)
- DOI (unique identifier) // Note: for books the DOI is the ISBN-13 code.
- ORCID (unique author identifier) // register via ORCID iD website.
- ISBN (via Publisher or self - one-time fee) // See "TU Delft - Self-publishing your (LaTeX) thesis"
LaTeX Templates for publishing
- Elsevier - Latex Templates
- Springer - Manuscript preparation
- GildePrint - What do I need for the layout of my thesis?
- Sage Publishing - Manuscript Submission Guidelines
Publishers and Copyright policies
- Sherpa and Romeo - Publisher copyright policies & self-archiving
LaTeX / Self publishing experience
- Publishing my first book - Alexandre Lebrun (Blurb & LuLu)
- TU Delft - Self-publishing your (LaTeX) thesis - Ken Arroyo Ohori (LuLu)
- TU Delft - The Rules for happily collaborating on a LaTeX document - Hugo Ledoux
- AuthorServices - Turning your PhD into a successful book - Terry Clague
- Elsevier - Guide for Authors
- Publishing my thesis in book form - Sean Leavey (InkyLittleFinger)
- Davide Barranca - Printing on demand a Leanpub book with Lulu.com
- Jurgen Appelo - Why I Don’t Use Leanpub
- Yuri Robbers and Annemarie Skjold - Creating Book Covers using PSTricks- PDF
- Top 10 Self-Publishing Companies: A 2018 Guide for First-Time Authors
- 2019 - What is the Best Service for Print on Demand Books?
- 2019 - Your Guide to Self-Publishing Distribution Services
- 2016 - My experiences printing a small batch of books
- The Self-Publishing Advice Center: from the Alliance of Independent Authors
- 2020 - Everything I learned about self-publishing an open-source books
- 2020 - Self Publishing a Technical Book in 2020
- 2019 - Publishing Service Index
- 2019 - Publishing Your Book Is Changing on IngramSpark
- 2015 - reddit - Better alternative of SmashWords.com (for european authors)?
- 2019 - The Verge - How to Self-Publish Your novel
- Springer Open Choice. With some universities springer has a special arrangement on fee's (for example RU.nl)
- Elsevier Open Access and Elsevies Pricing
- LuLu pricing
- Blurb, Blurb - Planning & Creating
- LeanPub, 2020 - Tips for Self-Publishing and Selling Books Using Leanpub, Leanpub blog
- Inky Little Fingers, Inky Little Fingers trustpilot
- Barnes and Noble Press
- IngramSpark, IngramSpark Selfpulsihing, IngramSpark Distribution
- KDP Print: The Amazon Print on Demand Solution
Next step is mapping the outlets (digital and paper) onto the available Self-Publsishing tools.
- Inky Little Fingers
Podcasts on selfpublishing
- Authors Podcast
- Build writing experience
- Find the right topic
- Get an agent
- Write a proposal
- Pitch to publishers
- Find your structure and voice
- Research and interview
- Edit and edit again
- Plan your publicity
- Do lots of speaking
- Keep It Short
- Keep It Compact
- Keep It Simple
- Use the Present Tense
- Avoid Adjectives and Adverbs
- Signal Novelty and Importance
- Be Bold
- Show Confidence
- Avoid Evocative Words
- You shall use only one sentence per line
- You shall use natbib for citations
- You shall prevent breaking lines with “~” when referencing and citing
- You shall use one - for an hyphen, two -- for a range between numbers, and three --- for a punctuation in a sentence
- You shall give meaningful labels
- You shall put a short space after e.g. and i.e. with the use of a backslash
- You shall put all figures/graphs in a single subfolder (figs/)
- In your BibTeX file, you shall use curly brackets for words/letters you want to have capitalised in the title
- You shall not add any commands to change the format until the the paper is finished
- You shall declare all sizes relative to "\linewidth".
- Choose a self-publishing company
- Choose a paper size, paper type and pricing
- Check the templates and rules
- Set the right paper size in your LaTeX document
- Upload your contents PDF, get your spine width and fix errors
- Flattening transparencies
- Upload your contents and cover PDFs, get an ISBN and check all
- Upload and proof
- Final corrections, upload and printing
- Why I self-published my book
- Writing the manuscript
- Trademarking the name
- Book cover design
- Buying an ISBN
- Beta reading
- Ebook production
- Independent printing
- Amazon publication
- Posting paperback pre-orders
- Audiobook production
- Self-publishing costs
- Let’s wrap up