Although MapMagic 2 is a new asset with new core, generators and GUI code, it follows the work pipeline that was introduced in MapMagic. MMWG users might find useful these new features:
- Native code: for most of the core generators the code has been re-written in C++. This results in significant generate speed improvement - up to 5 times for some nodes like Erosion. All C++ code included. Feature works for Mac and Win editors, Mac an Win standalone and iOS builds.
- New graphical user interface: major performance improvements and new experience: in-graph preview, new ways to create, remove, re-link nodes.
- All nodes are resolution-independent: you can switch the resolution and get the same result, but more (or less) detailed. resolution-independent, The generated result is always the same in world units no matter of chunk size or resolution. If you have a mountain at some position it will always be here no matter what size/resolution values you set.
- Drafts: low-resolution terrain tiles that will be generated way faster to be displayed at far distance and for editor preview;
- Margins: the way to create borderless terrains with no visible seam without using "Safe Borders";
- New Lock algorithms: instead of locking a whole terrain tile, there will be "lock locations", the areas on the terrain (or several terrains) that would be locked. These areas will be blended with the other world seamlessly so can change the graph while having locks.
For the new project I'd rather recommend you using MM2. Together with 3 paid modules, it has the similar price, but faster and more feature rich. MapMagic 1 will still be supported for some time with bug and compatibility fixes, but no new big features are planned here.
However MapMagic 2 is not compatible with current Voxeland version. Consider buying this asset if only you want to use this two assets together.