MapMagic 2 is the upcoming generation of MapMagic World Generator. It's an absolutely new asset made from scratch with familiar MapMagic workflow.
Here is what is planned for v2 (things done are marked with [v] ):
- All nodes will be resolution-independent: you can switch the resolution and get the same result, but more (or less) detailed. resolution-independent, The generated result is always the same in world units no matter of chunk size or resolution. If you have a mountain at some position it will always be here no matter what size/resolution values you set.
- Terrain LOD preview: terrain placeholders that will be generated way faster to be displayed at far distance and for editor preview;
- Margins: the way to create borderless terrains with no visible seam without using "Safe Borders";
- Functions: "biomes" with inputs, outputs and parameters exposed. Using them will make the graph more readable and allow to re-use the graph parts in other graphs. When generated function will get the main graph maps or other objects through Function Inputs, and output generated result via Function Output. You can expose internal function node values in the main graph function node, so you can setup the without opening function graph. You can treat them as encapsulated black boxes. Changing the function graph is like changing the function code - it will affect the graphs it's used in (unless otherwise is not enabled in settings). So you can tweak all of your scenes by tuning your function graph.
- Interface enhancements: major interface performance improvements, convenient way to apply curve or other node adjustments, per-node map preview;
- New Lock algorithms: instead of locking a whole terrain tile, there will be "lock locations", the areas on the terrain (or several terrains) that would be locked. These areas will be blended with the other world seamlessly so can change the graph while having locks.
- Partial locking: and speaking of locks there will be no absolute lock, each of the outputs could be locked separately. For example, you can lock the height and scatter textures or grass on the locked area with MM.
- Height, splats, objects inputs: MapMagic as an editor tool - you can sculpt the terrain manually and then let MM texture it or place objects. Or place objects and automatically create grass around them. Just to mention it's not the way Vegetation Studio works - grass and objects will be processed by MM per chunk and "baked" the usual way MM does;
- Native C++ generators in editor (erosion [v], noise [ ], forest [v] - Mac and Win editors only);
- If everything goes well - a couple of test spline generators
Please note that this list is a plan and doesn't mean that all of them will be 100% implemented.
Is there any ETA on when it will be released?
Unfortunately, no, not yet. I'm taking my time to make it good.
Will it be an upgrade or a new asset?
MM2 was build from scratch, and there is hardly any line of code left from MM1. It will be the new asset, and will be sold separately. MM1 owners will have a chance to upgrade for a lower price.
Will it be compatible with the MM1 graphs?
I plan to make the graph updater tool that will convert MM1 graphs to the new format, however it will not generate the exactly same result MM1 does. At least, all of the seeds will change, and probably it will generate the wild things, so user interference will be 100% necessary. It will not be a fully automatic process.
Is there any chance I can become an insider and get my hands on MM2 in it's current state NOW?
Yes, if you are MM1 owner. See the Preview Version below.
Current GitLab repository contains a version of MapMagic 2 at it's current state. MapMagic1 user can get an access to repository and download MM2 to fiddle with. To do so please email me:
- your order number and
- your GitLab account if any. If you haven't got one I will open up an access to the one you've emailed to me
Note that this process isn't automated, and can take some time. Each email will be considered individually, and I reserve the right to refuse providing an access.
Do not distribute the repositories content, and do not publish the product made with MM2. However, feel free to publish the screenshots and videos of your MapMagic experiments. A reference about the tool or link to the asset will never come amiss.
Important: Do NOT use the Preview Version for a fully-fledged project!
The Preview Version changes often, as well as it's graph format. The compatibility of the older graphs is not guaranteed, as well as the compatibility with the release version. As the name says, it's more for the preview purpose rather then for creating a working graph for your project.
Beside the main MapMagic 2 repository (https://gitlab.com/denispahunov/mapmagic) you will need an additional repository to make it work (https://gitlab.com/denispahunov/shared). It contains all of the assets shared between MapMagic, Voxeland and Erosion Brush.
Log into your GitLab account with an access to MM2 group before downloading (See the section above if you have not got one).
To use the MM2 preview you need to remove the released version from the asset store and clone/download both repositories somewhere inside the Assets folder. Since the repository is updated quite often (several times a week) I recommend you using Git client to simplify the regular updates (personally I prefer Fork).
It doesn't matter where you store MapMagic and shared (Tools and Demo) folders, unless any of the parent folders isn't called Editor, Resources or any other Unity-reserved name. Shared folders could be stored inside MapMagic, but I don't recommend to do so because it will be harder to set up git client if you plan to use it.
Here is a quick instruction on how to start using MapMagic:
Double-click on the Graph asset in the project view to open up the editor window.
Alternatively: select the Graph asset in the project view, click Open Editor in the inspector.
Alternatively: select the MapMagic object, click Open next to the Graph slot.