The Editor Window is the main tool for working with MapMagic, so it is recommended to dock it somewhere if you are going to work closely with MM. Try not to make it overlap the Scene View to let you see the generation results. This window could be opened by pressing "Show Editor" button in Inspector when MapMagic, MapMagic data asset or Voxeland are selected.
The Editor window can be scrolled using the middle mouse button or left mouse button with Alt pressed.
To zoom in or out, use the scroll wheel.
To move a generator, left-click and drag anywhere on an individual generator generator window.
Changing any of the generator’s parameters will force the generator and it’s dependent generators to re-calculate. Once the generators’ results are ready the terrain will be changed.
At the top of the window you can see a toolbar:
From left to right:
- Green tick mark changes its appearance depending on the current generation state:
- Green tick is displayed when all terrains have been generated successfully and all of them are up-to-date.
- Grey “Generating” mark (animated) is displayed when at least one terrain is currently in the progress of being generated.
- Red “Error” mark means that the generator graph has connection error(s): either mandatory connections are empty, or connections have the wrong type, or the graph has an infinite loop. Error connections will be displayed in red on graph.
- When nothing is displayed beside the “Generate” button then terrains have not yet been generated. This is common when the “Instant Generate” feature is turned off in the settings.
- Map Magic is the name of the object this data belongs to. Displaying an objects name could be handy when you select a separate data .asset file in project view and edit it or work with multiple Voxeland objects.
- Generate Changes button will generate only the changed nodes. This happens automatically when "Instant Generate" is turned on in settings (and it is on by default). But if you'd like to turn "Instant Generate" off for performance or debug purposes use this button to apply all of the changes.
- Force Generate All makes all of the nodes re-calculate from scratch. It could be used to fix terrains if something unpredictable occurred. It could help you a lot when writing a custom generator.
- Exit Biome button is visible only when you are inside a Biome. Pressing it will return you to the main graph.
- Focus button displayed as the "target" icon will focus editor window on the center of your graph. It can help to return editing when you are lost on the infinite graph field.
- Zoom button with a "magnifier"* icon will return the zoom value to 100%. On the right of the icon current zoom value is displayed.
Right-clicking on the empty graph field, generator or the generator output (blue or green circle) will open up a Right-click Menu. With this menu a new generator could be created, exported, removed, previewed, etc.
A newly created generator can be connected to a currently existing generator system. Just drag and drop it’s input or output icons to the other generator’s input or output. Note that the generator’s output can have several connections, while an input accepts only one connection. Some generator inputs are mandatory, that means that they always require some input and generating will fail if they are not connected. Empty mandatory inputs are highlighted with a red asterisk.