- Install the GOG english version (*) of Might and Magic VIII. Do NOT install GrayFace's patch (**).
- Copy GOG version files outside of "Program Files"
- Set mm8.exe and mm8setup.exe files compatibility to Windows XP SP2 or Windows XP SP3, otherwise you might end with software rendering / "There aren't any D3D devices to init" error. Setting (or leaving) compatibility to Windows 95 (like GOG does) will cause lags with pathfinder module.
- Copy Merge pack files into MM8 folder, replacing existing.
Copy Merge patch files into MM8 folder, replacing existing.
- Choose one of the branches:
- It is STRONGLY recommended to remove Scripts folder first to avoid rogue lua files problem.
- If you want original mod behavior, use branch rodril-fixes
- If you want Community features, use branch comm
- If you want most actively developed code, use Revamp (branch master).
- [Optional] Install GrayFace's MMPatch 2.4.1. (It's already included in mod pack so reinstall might not be required if everything works.)
(*) If you have installed non-english version you might need to change registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\New World Computing\Might and Magic Day of the Destroyer\1.0\language_file value to 'english'.
(**) If you have installed GrayFace's patch already, check 'Data' directory and remove files '00 patch.*.lod'. Otherwise you'll have random bugs with events, quests etc.
Merge pack (also known as Base Merge)
Latest Rodril's pack is v. 12.07.2020
Patch 16.08.2020 is known to be broken. Fixes were done by Rodril in his repo and merged by both rodril-fixes and master branches.
Revamp (master branch of my repo)
Comm / Community branch (also known as Community master)
Rodril-fixes branch (also known as Community fixes)
GrayFace's MM8 Patch 2.4.1
Already installed in Merge Pack. Sometimes reinstall at the end might help with troubleshooting unexpected errors.