title: Hemera:UserGuide:Hardware permalink: /Hemera:UserGuide:Hardware/
Before using Hemera, you must ensure hardware is well configured.
You must ensure you can record with your microphone.
If you are using directly ALSA project, you may find interesting information:
If you are using Pulse Audio, you may find interesting information:
- for RedHat-based distributions, on Fedora Wiki
- for Debian-based distributions, on Ubuntu Documentation
You may need to use pavucontrol to ensure:
- output AND input are defined
- the good input is the default one (in case you have several)
- the good input is NOT in 'mute'
- sox/rec (which is used by Hemera) uses the good input (it must NOT use "monitor")
In any case, you may test your microphone with a recording tool like Audacity.
(will come later)