Future grid view copy & paste improvements.
I've been reviewing !1135 (merged) with @_dvd and we have a few thoughts on future enhancements to make copy/pasting even better.
UPDATE_MULTISELECTwe limit the number of rows you can select in one go to 200. There is a corresponding setting in the backend,
BATCH_ROWS_SIZE_LIMIT. It'd be nice if there was a visual clue in the frontend however to let you know when you've reached that limit, it feels like a bug when you're selecting rows, reach 200, and can't select anymore.
- One idea I was thinking about: re-using the "Row does not match filters" label, and when you've reached your row selection limit, saying something like “You’ve reached the limit of rows you can select at one time”.
If I've copied 10 rows, and I've got a cell at column 1, row
(limit-2)selected, and I paste, we should be:
- Pasting into the last 2 rows.
- Creating 8 new rows, with each field pre-filled with what is being pasted.
If I have two cells selected, in columns A & B, and I paste, I'd like to be able to press the cursor keys to navigate to the next cell, so I can paste again. At the moment pressing the cursor keys deselects.
Add support for "cut" with Ctrl+X/Cmd+X.
If we copy the contents of a cell, and the contents can't be translated into a valid value in the destination cell, we shouldn't wipe the destination cell's contents. For example, copying from a
datetype field and pasting it into a
urltype field won't work, so we shouldn't clear the
Add the ability to
TRUNCATEa table, removing all rows but preserving the fields.
Add support for pasting the contents of one cell into multiple cells in one go. A community question has been raised about this.
- Being able to use shift with cursors/mouse left clicks would be great:
- Shift + cursors: to expand/contract cell selection.
- Shift + left click: to select up to the cell you clicked.