Angelo Gulina (he/him) (Busy)
- At GitLab
- About me
- Personal traits
- How to read my Google Calendar
- Emoji Pet Peeve
- Things I like
I am a Senior Frontend Engineer in the Purchase group of the Fulfillment department. 2023-01-23 to 2023-04-17, I will allocate 50% of my time to participate in an Internship for Learning as a PM withing Create:Editor.
My name is Angelo (pronounced like /ˈan.d͡ʒe.lo/) and I am from Enna, Sicily, Italy. I live in Munich, Bavaria, Germany since 2015.
I often travel back to my I am currenlty located in Sicily, my homeplace, because my daugther lives there. I am the proud legal guardian of Tarta.
Here are some facts about me to give you an idea of who (I think) I am:
- I like to listen to everyone's point of view. When doing it, I tend to nod and smile: it means I am listening not that I agree
- I am open-minded. I prefer to give ideas careful evaluation before accepting them
- I don't like absolutness and rigidity. Therefore, even if I am stubborn – it is really hard to convince me – I gladly accept suggestions and I am always eager to try things out
- I usually play the devil's advocate: there is always an angle that has not been evaluated and is worth to explore. Especially for topics I deem important, I tend to put interlocutors on trial: it is not personal, the aim is to get the best out of the conversation and reach a common ground
- I don't like commands. If someone is not able to argue their position, it is not a worthy one
- I reason schematically, it helps me see the evolution of an idea. I want to understand how it got from A to B
- I believe in people and their abilities even, and especially, when they don't believe in themselves. Therefore, I encourage them and try to help them out
Here are some things to take into account when collaborating with me:
- I am always eager to offer help. Ask me anything anytime. Although I might not show it, I appreciate people saying "Thanks"
- I struggle to say "No", it is emotionally distressing. If it happens, I could not have decided otherwise
- I rely heavily on slow-thinking to be effective in my decision making. Therefore, I have a bias for any style of communication that helps me with that (e.g.: written, async)
- I promote my own ideas and solutions poorly. When I do, I appreciate recognition. When in difficulty, I appreciate support and guidance
- I have an innate propensity for problem solving. I find it hard to tell if someone is asking for help or just sharing frustration. Please, consider making it clear to me
I am fond about non-linear workday. My working hours are from
07:30 – 22:00 (note: it doesn't mean I work ~ 15 hours). To help understand what I am doing at a certain moment of the day, see this helpful list of emojis. Although I try to keep Slack and Goolge Calendar in sync, always refer to the latter as the source of truth.
🍝, I am having lunch, or a break from work (sometimes I skip meals). I don't read emails or pings; I check Slack from mobile
👧, I am taking care of my daughter. I don't read emails or pings; I check Slack from mobile
⌛️, I am focusing on personal development (e.g., studying, learning, etc). I don't read emails, pings or Slack
🤗, I am taking care of my menta health with a professional advisor. I don't read emails, pings or Slack
⛔️, not in my working hours. I don't read emails, pings or Slack
Other meetings I participate in appear aas busy slots. Whenever the calendar is fee, you can assume I am working (and I'm free for e.g., meetings, coffee chats, etc). I will reply to emails, pings, and Slack.
I appreciate any feedabck and suggestions on how to make my schedule more comprehensible for others.
There's one emoji that particularly annoys me, mainly because I have assigned it a personal meaning: