Your libfreerdp does not support H264
Created by: douglasg14b
I installed remmina via
sudo apt-get install remmina freerdp2-x11 -y. I went to RDP into a server and received the following error:
You requested an H264 GX mode for server [snip], but your libfreerdp does not support H264. Please check Color Depth settings.
The error seems pretty obvious, I need H264 support. However, I have no idea how to set that up for freerdp. How do I setup H264 support to run at my current color depth settings?
Please give us some details about the systems you are using:
- Client (OS name and version): Kubuntu 18.04
- Remmina version (remmina --version): 1.2.0-rcgit-29
- Desktop environment (GNOME, Unity, KDE, ..): KDE 5.12.4
- Connecting to (OS and version): Win 10, Win Server 2016, Win Server 2012 R2
- Connecting via (RDP, VNC, ...): RDP
- RDP issues only, freerdp version (xfreerdp --version): 2.0.0-dev
EDIT by @antenore
Why there is this problem
This happens because Ubuntu 18.04 comes with an old version of FreeRDP and Remmina default is to use GFX, that needs a newer version of FreeRDP.
So we can do nothing but propose a workaround...
How to workaround
- Install Remmina from the PPA or one of the flatpak/snap packages.
This is the easier solution, from our point of view the PPA is the still the best option. If use choose one of the other two, keep in mind that they use a containerized technology, therefore you will have to play around to have your profiles and settings set up as you like/need.
- Change each profile to use a different colour dept
all the 32 bpp are good as AVC444, it's just a matter of optimizations
This setting is in each profile in the first tab.
If you have a lot of profiles, you can change "en masse" all the profiles with sed, like:
sed -i -e 's/colordepth=66/colordepth=0/g' ~/.local/share/remmina/*remmina
Finally you can save a default profile with the "Save as default" button in the profile editor. To achieve this, create a fake profile, that you can delete afterwards, with all the default settings you need and push the above mentioned button.