Shared Ontologies in openTEAM - Utility
Please note, we have setup the Fall roadmap for the ontologies work, available here. This currently covers the next couple of months of work. @gbathree + my graduate student @StevenDoyle will be leading the charge on interviews while I'm out on maternity leave. I've migrated relevant content, you should all be able to still access airtable as we build things out, and if you'd like to be added to the repo, let any of us know and we'll get that sorted. We'll keep this issue live here so that it can link out to the Ontologies roadmap work.
Content Deprecated Here on
View your current vocabularies, lists, and ontologies to THIS AIRTABLE BASE!
This includes: identifying shared data ontologies, conversions between ontologies, finding overlap between existing data models. Data covered includes: ecological, plants, farm operations, etc.
Deprecated spreadsheet linked here for posterity.
What can we do now?
(now) Discovery work (get lists, specifications, use cases)
- get lists from partners (Our Sci, Dagan, COMET, farmOS ... others) and merge if/when possible?
- (optionally) add metadata to lists
Using this AIRTABLE BASE. Contact @sudokita if you have trouble. Each person should provide:
- list of plants + attributes ('must have' and 'would like') and other ag-related lists (tillage types, amendment lists, etc.)
(kita + others) walk through existing list of ontologies with group, then by herself
- (everyone) Assess variables work... see which of the resources (of various ontologies) are missing
- (everyone) First go-round focused on crops.
- Then to tillage likely
- Also provide template for use cases (narrative or bullet list of how it's used + who uses it)
- (kita) finalize next steps based on analysis (what information structure)
- (kita, greg) spec out exact details for dev / data manager along with hiring post.
- (Fall) TECHNICAL: Test out the shared ontology with integration between these tools: farmOS, landPKS, OurSci, CometFarm, Dagan, Regen).
- (Spring) FARM/FIELD METHODS: Feedback from existing users of existing platforms
- (Spring) HCD: Implications of ontological decisions on usability and usefulness.
What can we do if we have a supported developer / data manager
- (now) Create / implement on shared lists information model for PDS storage
- (now) Put shared lists in new information model in Airtable dataset for future updating and Gitlab (or similar) for easy access
- (now) Review of existing collaborations, holders of ontologies, etc. which we can use (so we're not creating something new).
- (asap) The long-term sustainability of this storage!
- (soon) (MongoDB) structure system for sharing (above) + available through gitlab
- connect pick-a-carrot dataset w/ PDS
- scrape amendments, pesticides, herbicides to update + improve lists
- integrate nutritional database into PDS
- (later) update to API (if/as needed)