Crash when mouse over soulgem with a now-missing soul
- Install a creature mod.
- Soul trap a creature from that mod.
- Save and shut down the game.
- Remove the mod.
- Restart the game.
- Mouse over a soul gem with that creature's soul in it, in inventory (personal or container). Might also happen if the gem is on the ground.
- Crash to desktop with a pop-up error dialog like: OpenMW: Fatal error Creature '[id of creature here]' not found, as soon as the game tries to show the "tooltip" giving the name of what's in the soul gem.
This is REALLY not graceful. Expected behavior range would be any of the following:
- Auto-remove soul gems with souls that can no longer be identified.
- Replace them with empt soul gems of the same type.
- Keep them as-is (same point value), except replace the creature ID with a dummy ID, and a dummy creature name like "[unknown]".
- Convert to nearest available match (rounding down), e.g. a 71000-point "Foo Monster" no longer available might convert to a 70000-point Spriggan, if you have Bloodmoon installed.
- Several other possibilities.
Extracting oneself from this situation is problematic. It seems the only way to do it is to remove one soul gem (or stack thereof) at a time, then save if the game doesn't crash after each removal, restart the game if it does, and do this again and again, until you are finally down to only the glitched one(s) in inventory or in the container, then use the Console to remove the remaining soul gem(s) from inventory (not even sure that will work), or use the Console to delete the container and re-create an empty one. For a big stockipile of gems, this could take hours.
I first noticed this in March, and forgot about it, but it just happened again today with a nightly build from a few days ago. I've listed reproducibility as "Sometimes", since I'm not sure of all the conditions which might trigger this crash. I doubt this is Mac-specific, but I listed it as Operating system: MacOS, since that's what I'm using.
(RM-4111 from redmine: created on 2017-09-18 by Dark Locq, , closed on 2018-03-09 by scrawl ., relates #2772 (closed))