add documentation on login vs nonlogin shell and interactive shell and startup scripts for bash, csh, zsh
@sleak-lbl @brandon_cook This PR may shed some insight into this login vs non-login shell + interactive/non-interactive for different shells (bash, zsh, csh). This may also address #157 looping in @bfriesen though we may want to expand upon this and provide recommendation where to put configuration files. I took some time to wrap my head around the different startup scripts and I have shared the links to all the resources before I documented this. Please do verify this material to make sure this content looks correct.
- BASH: https://www.gnu.org/savannah-checkouts/gnu/bash/manual/bash.html see section 6.2 and 6.3
- CSH: https://linux.die.net/man/1/csh
- ZSH: https://zsh.sourceforge.io/Doc/Release/Files.html
Other useful links are the following https://shreevatsa.wordpress.com/2008/03/30/zshbash-startup-files-loading-order-bashrc-zshrc-etc/ https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/579693/clarification-re-zsh-startup-shutdown-files
Thank you for this contribution to docs.nersc.gov!
If non-trivial please provide a summary of the changes here.
Submitters and reviewers please make sure
- internal links are relative and to the .md file
- avoid links named "here"
- alt-text for images is descriptive
- doesn't duplicate existing content
- spell check
- renders correctly
- does not include any identifiable information (real usernames, project names, etc)