Latest (build) version(s) of the emu are marked as malicious by windows defender (and firefox)
First and foremost, I'm 99.9% certain that this is a false positive.
That said, it is an annoying issue when trying to download the latest build from here and having it be removed as a virus.
Some information about the issue:
- I tested with build fc76b2d5 and the one below and they both have the issue
- Further investigation shows that the problem is with the experimental_steamclient\steamclient_loader.exe file (which I think is a modified version of the cold client client loader)
- The virus it is detected as is 'Trojan:Win32/Wacatac.D4!ml' (when the steamclient_loader.exe is makred) or 'Trojan:Script/Wacatac.C!ml' (when the archive is marked)
Possible solutions would be:
- Do noting and deal with it ;)
- Split the latest build download up in 2 artifacts (one for the version without the loader, and one with the loader)
- Find a way to not have the steamclient_loader.exe be marked as a virus (I don't know if this is possible due to the nature of the loader itself)