ArcMenu v33 has been released
Hi from the - ArcMenu Team
We are pleased to announce the release of ArcMenu version 33, this has been a major release with no less than 138 commits which has seen the completion and implementation of all planned features with the addition of some new and really cool features, this marks a milestone in ArcMenus development and hopefully its future development it has been 2 years in the planning but we have finally got here thanks to your support and the fantastic development team and project contributors, please see below the highlights of some of these new features implemented in version 33
Full details can be found in the commits.
Please note: for those who download from Gnome extensions v34 (Gnome extension version is ahead by +1)
ArcMenu version 34 is now Live on Gnome extensions
You will need to be running one of the following gnome-shell versions for v33;
- Gnome-shell 3.34
- Gnome-shell 3.32
- Gnome-shell 3.30
- Gnome-shell 3.28
ArcMenu v33 Feature List
1. Multiple new menu layout options
One of the new major features we are excited to bring in this release is the option to choose multiple different menu layouts, this has been something planned for ArcMenu for more than a year and a half and thanks to one of the Lead project developers (@AndrewZaech) this has now been possible.
More detailed information on the different menu layouts can be found in this wiki section.
- Menu-Layout: - https://gitlab.com/LinxGem33/Arc-Menu/wikis/Menu%20Layouts
|(click to enlarge)|
2. Color Theme Presets and Theme Creator
New to version 33 of ArcMenu is the ability to create and theme any of the ArcMenu layouts using our newly developed built in theme preset colour creator.
Here you can design and create practically an unlimited number of preset theme combinations to suite your style and personality.
- Colour Presets: - https://gitlab.com/LinxGem33/Arc-Menu/wikis/Colour-Presets
|(click to enlarge)|
3. Improved Cairo Context Performance
This release sees improvements to the GJS and Cairo context performance which should hopefully give better performance overall to the extension.
- Please see commits for full details
4. Import Export and Themes Management System
We have even developed a custom architecture to allow individuals or 3rd party's to share their designs using our custom developed preset import and export themes section on ArcMenu's settings via the newly created misc tab.
|(click to enlarge)|
5. Drag and Drop applications and search results from Arc Menu to Dash to Panel
Also in this release we are pleased to bring even tighter integration with Dash to Panel, you can now drag and drop your applications onto the panel and even rearrange your apps from within the menu.
6. Major new code added and optimised
This relates to all the new features added which sees the code base change drastically
- Full technical details in the commits.
7. Refactoring updates and fixes
8. Gnome 3.34 Support
ArcMenu now supports gnome-shell 3.34
9. Disable power button
Users now have the option to remove the power button on the ArcMenu layout
10. Enable large icons
Users are now able to increase the size of their application icons with the toggle of a button something which users have been asking for.
11. Trigger hotkey action on key-release and press
Users can now choose to toggle between launching the menu on key press or key release
- Note: gnome 3.34 has a known bug please see #128
12. Hotkey/custom improvements
More improvements have been made to the hotkey architecture
13. UX improvements settings and menus
Again in this release many improvements have been made to the look and feel from menus to the settings which brings better cohesion to the extension.
14. Editable pinned apps
User can now edit their pinned apps with ease via the newly created edit options now available.
15. Editable theme presets
Once you have created lots of cool theme presets we have also given you the ability to manage those colour preset themes by clicking on the Manage Presets button,
- This will allow you to re-arrange your themes delete them or simply edit the names giving you the creative freedom to design some really unique themes.
16. Quick navigation buttons added for icons (pinned apps)
Users can now navigate using the quick nav button for icons instead of typing the whole URL when using custom/edit pinned apps.
17. Launch files from search results in folder
Users now have the option on the right click menu to open the folder location of search results of files on their systems something which users have been asking for.
18. Import/export themes selection
Another improvement to the import/export theme selection is the ability to choose what to either import or export this gives users more control over what they want.
19. Font size increased
increased the font size in override ArcMenu theme creator
20. Translation updates and fixes
More backend fixes and updates to the translation architecture which will allow for better and more precise translations for the extensions different elements.
21. Theme builder customization refinements
More UX and code refinements for the customization architecture and code base.
22. New Arc Menu Logo
Finally ArcMenu has a new logo and also distro specific logo's.