ArcMenu v41 has been released
Hi from the - ArcMenu Team
We are pleased to announce the release of ArcMenu version 41, this has been another substantial release with quite a few commits which has seen the completion and implementation of some cool features with the addition of some new UX changes, this marks another version number increase in ArcMenu's development and hopefully its future development it has been possible thanks to your support and feedback and the fantastic development team and project contributors, please see below the highlights of some of these new features implemented in version 41
- Full details can be found in the commits.
ArcMenu version 40/41 are now Live on Gnome extensions
You will need to be running one of the following gnome-shell versions for v40;
- Please note v41 will be released as a point release a little bit after as this will include the widgets and will only support Gnome shell 3.34 and above.
- Gnome-shell 3.36 (v41)
- Gnome-shell 3.34 (v41)
- Gnome-shell 3.32 (v40) - (support will be dropped from ArcMenu v42)
- Gnome-shell 3.30 (v40) - (support will be dropped from ArcMenu v42)
- Gnome-shell 3.28 (v40) - (support will be dropped from ArcMenu v42)
ArcMenu v41 Feature List highlights
1. Dash to Dock integration
We are pleased to bring you full integration with Dash to Dock as you can understand we was both excited and cautious as this would require alot of planning and core code back-end work to get both ArcMenu and Dash to dock to work in synergy.
Thankfully our Lead Project JS Developer Andrew Zaech was on hand to be instrumental in pushing this new feature forward, not only have we integrated this new feature but we have also added two new menu layouts and re-designed the ubuntu dash layout exclusively for the new Dash to dock integration (more details below).
2. Create Desktop Shortcuts
|Create desktop shortcut||Delete desktop shortcut|
Another new feature we are pleased to bring you in v41 is the ability to now create and delete desktop shortcuts directly from ArcMenu's right click application menu,
- Please note: you will need to have the desktop icons extension installed for this feature to be activated and once you create a shortcut you will need to right click on the desktop shortcut and allow launching .
3. New menu layouts
New re-designed Ubuntu dash layout
New Raven menu layout
We have also added three new menu layouts and re-designed the ubuntu dash layout exclusively for the new Dash to dock integration, the new layouts consist of the new Raven layout our take on a concept menu which was posted on reddit, Chromebook layout, and the new Ubuntu dash layout
4. New Arc Menu icons and many more custom menu icons
New ArcMenu official symbolic icons
New Alternative symbolic icons
Also new to this release is the addition of a new set of custom symbolic icons which are preset when you choose a symbolic icon for the main panel (you can still choose a custom icon by choosing custom icon in the drop down).
5. New v41 3.34+ Gnome shell widgets integration
We have now introduced widgets into our core code hopefully we will be reviewing which widgets to add for future releases
- You can toggle these widgets on or off via either the ubuntu dash or Raven layout tweaks section.
6. Keyboard Navigation rework
The Keyboard Navigation has undergone a re-work to allow keyboard navigation improvements.
Full Change-Log for ArcMenu v41
- Dash to Dock integration. New setting that will place Arc Menu in Dash to Dock
- Major redesign to the Ubuntu Dash layout to go along with new Dash to Dock integration feature.
- New menu layouts - “Raven Menu” and “Chromebook”
- New to GNOME shell 3.34+ Weather and World Clock widgets. Available for “Raven Menu” and “Ubuntu Dash” layouts
- Add “Create Desktop Shortcut” option to application context menus. Will only appear if Desktop-Icons extensions is enabled.
- Add "Right-Panel Width" setting in "Customize Arc Menu Appearance"
- Add "Disable Menu Arrow" setting in "Customize Arc Menu Appearance" that will disable the current themes menu arrow pointer and remove any menu displacement
- Add “Disable Category Arrows” setting in "Customize Arc Menu Appearance" that will disable the arrows on all category menu items.
- Add “Disable Activities Button” setting when in Dash to Dock mode
- New Arc Menu icons and many more custom menu icons – see “Menu Button Appearance" on the “Appearance” tab in settings
- Keyboard Navigation rework – better support for keyboard use
- Grid icons style changed to have rounded corners.
- Search grid list results now span the width of the menu and have rounded corners
- Search grid app results center aligned with 10px spacing
- New button styling for more consistent look across all themes.
- New searchbox styling for more consistent look across all themes.
- Add icon preview in “Menu Button Appearance" dialog window
- Set default menu button icon size to 20 (was 22)
- Tooltip changes to show name if label is ellipsized
- Change "All Programs" category icon to ‘view-grid-symbolic’
- New Arc Menu logo in About page in settings
- Clean up Arc Menu About Page in settings
- Redesign Ubuntu-Dash svg in settings to match new redesigned Ubuntu Dash layout
- Clean up "Menu Button Appearance" and “Customize Arc Menu Appearance” dialog windows
- Code changes to support current GNOME 3.35 build
- Change stylesheet directory to avoid permissions issues. Useful for Manjaro pre-installed Arc Menu
- Change order of Menu Icons in settings, first three listed will always be
- Arc Menu Icon (default setting)
- System Default
- Custom Icon
- Fix default directory path icons not launching when using a language other than English
- Fix default directory path icons not displaying in settings
- Fix undefined _delegate warnings in logs
- Fix removing undefined signal warnings in logs
- Simple Menu and Simple Menu 2 refactoring
- Remove split sentences in gettext calls. (#212 (closed))
- Fix missing translation (#213 (closed))